A Successful Franchisor/Franchisee Relationship; Effective Communication
A successful franchise depends heavily on a successful relationship between a franchisor and franchisee. As with any relationship‚ the success of the franchisor/franchisee relationship is based on an appropriate level of effective communication. However‚ achieving an effective level of communication with a franchisee without taking control of said franchisee's business operations can be a difficult balance.
Effective Communication Between Franchisors and Franchisees
When a franchisor takes too much control of a franchisee's business operations‚ the franchisor is then open to vicarious liability and lawsuits arising from the actions of the franchisee. Too little involvement‚ however‚ could lead to the failure of the franchisee.
The most effective communication and troubleshooting tools available to a franchisor are:
- Advisory councils;
- Annual conventions;
- Regional meetings; and
- Advertising councils.
Such meetings and councils create an appropriate venue for communication. In this way‚ the franchisor can give necessary aid to its franchisees without interfering with or taking control of the franchisee's day-to-day operations.
By Charles Internicola July 10, 2010
Franchise ChannelWhat Our Clients Say About The Internicola Law Firm
- Business Transactions
- Buy a Franchise
- Corporate Counsel
- Firm News
- Franchise Your Business
- Grow Your Franchise
- Intellectual Property
- Start a Franchise
- Do You Need to Have Multiple Locations to Franchise Your Business?
- Don’t Hire a Franchise Consultant if you see these Warning Signs!
- When is the Right Time to Franchise Your Business?
- How to Improve Your FDD Item 19 Financial Performance Representations in 2021 and Beyond (With COVID Impact)
- Should You Create an Education and Training Business Instead of Franchising?