What is New York's Net Worth Franchise Registration Exemption?
Net Worth Franchise Registration Exemption in New York
Who Does the Exemption Apply To?
Under New York's franchise law one exemption to the FDD registration mandate applies to franchisors who clearly meet minimum "net worth" criteria. If applicable, the exemption only applies to "registration" of the franchisor's FDD with the State. The franchisor is still required to disclose and deliver a current FDD to its prospective franchisees in accordance to New York's Franchise Laws - so this is an exemption to FDD "registration" not FDD "disclosure".
Under the rule a franchisor may be exempt from New York registration obligations, if:
- The franchisor has a net worth on a consolidated basis - according to its most recent financial statement - of not less than fifteen million dollars; or the franchisor has a net worth - according to its most recent audited financial statement - of not less than three million dollars and is at least eighty percent owned by a corporation which has a net worth on a consolidated basis of not less than fifteen million dollars.
There are other exemptions to New York's FDD registration regulations. Before relying on any exemption franchisors must carefully review the application of the exemption with franchise counsel.
To speak with Charles Internicola regarding franchising and franchise exemptions call 1-800-976-4904.
- Do I Have To Modify My FDD To Sell A Franchise In New York State?
- What Do I Need To Do To Apply For A Fractional Franchise Exemption In New York?
- What Is A "Franchisee Fee" Under New York Law?
- What Is A "Marketing Plan" Under New York's Franchise Law?
- What is New York's "Existing Franchisee" Franchise Registration Exemption?
- What is New York's "Isolated Sale" Franchise Registration Exemption?
- What is New York's Net Worth Franchise Registration Exemption?
- What Remedies are Available upon Termination or Nonrenewal of a Franchise in New York?
- Take Your Business from Local Success to National Franchise with The 90 Day Franchise Launch Program
- An Entrepreneurs Guide to Purchasing a Business or Franchise
- ENDWISE: The Guide to Selling Your Business with Peace of Mind
- The New York and New Jersey Partnership Dispute Guide
- Franchise Counsel Program