Maryland Franchise Registration
Maryland is a Franchise Registration State. The initial FDD filing fee is $500 and the annual renewal fee is $250.
Maryland Franchise Law
The State of Maryland is a franchise registration state. Prior to offering or selling a franchise in Maryland, you must register your FDD with the Securities Division of the Maryland Attorney General's Office. The Securities Division oversees the FDD registration process and enforcement of Maryland's Franchise Registration and Disclosure Law. The initial FDD registration filing fee is $500 and the annual renewal fee is $250. Registration lasts for one year and requires annual renewal.
If you need assistance registering your FDD in Maryland, call us at (800) 976-4904 or contact us.
Maryland Franchise and FDD Registration FAQs
Who Regulates Franchises in Maryland?
The Securities Division of the Maryland Office of the Attorney General regulates and oversees enforcement of Maryland’s Franchise Registration and Disclosure Law.
What Should I Include with My Maryland Franchise Registration Application?
Your registration application should include:
- Application Fee of $500 for initial franchise registrations and $250 for renewal registrations. The filing fee must be made payable to the "Office of the Attorney General";
- Uniform Franchise Registration Application Page;
- Franchisor's Costs and Sources of Funds;
- Uniform Consent to Service of Process naming the Maryland Securities Commissioner as agent to receive service;
- Franchise Seller Disclosure Form;
- Franchise Disclosure Document with State Cover Page;
- Certification Page;
- Auditor's consent letter; and
- Copies of advertising and promotional materials.
Where Do I File My Registration Application?
Your FDD registration application must be filed with the Securities Division at the following address:
Office of the Attorney General
200 St. Paul Place, 20th Floor
Baltimore, MD 21202
Their telephone number is (410) 576-6360 and their email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
What Are the Fees for Franchise Applications in Maryland?
The initial filing fee for FDD registration is $500 and the renewal fee is $250.
How Long Will It Take for My Registration Application to Be Approved?
The Maryland Securities Division actively responds to FDD registration and renewal applications. How long registration takes depends on how complete your application and FDD are. Once you submit your application, you will be assigned a franchise examiner and you will receive a confirmation letter in the mail with your file number. After several weeks, you will receive a letter from the examiner advising you of FDD deficiencies and changes that the examiner requires before granting your registration application. Once all deficiencies in the examiner’s comment letter are resolved, you will receive an email advising you that your FDD has been registered and indicating the effective date of your registration. Your registration must be renewed annually and not later than 120 days following the end of your most recent fiscal year.
How Current Do My Financial Statements Need to Be?
The audited financial statements included in Item 21 of your FDD must have been prepared and issued within 120 days of the date of your registration application with the State of Maryland.
Useful Links Concerning Maryland Franchise Laws
- Maryland Law - This directory of the Maryland Division of State Records offers search functionality to access Maryland Law. To view Maryland’s Franchise Registration and Disclosure Law, click on the link to “Annotated Code of Maryland” and then within the search functionality enter “Business Regulation” as the Article section and 14-201 as the Section section. This will take you to portions of Maryland’s published franchise laws.
- Office of the Maryland Attorney General - This link is to the primary website for the Office of the Maryland Attorney General. The Securities Division of the Office of the Maryland Attorney General oversees FDD registrations and enforcement of Maryland’s franchise laws.
- Maryland Information for Initial FDD Registration - This PDF resource guide is published by the Securities Division of the Maryland Attorney General and includes a list of the documents and information that franchisors must submit with their initial FDD registration applications.
- Maryland Information for Franchise Renewals - This PDF resource guide is published by the Securities Division of the Maryland Attorney General and includes helpful information to assist franchisors with their FDD renewal applications.
Visit our interactive franchise registration map and learn more about state franchise laws, FDD registration states, and required franchise filings.
To learn more about how we can help you with your franchise registrations and growing your franchise in Maryland and across the United States, contact us at (800) 976-4904 or contact us online.