Michigan Franchise Registration and Filing a Notice of Intent
Michigan Franchise Registration Status: Registration State
State Registration Fee: $250.00
Michigan is a franchise registration state. However, unlike most states, Michigan does not require that you submit a copy of your Franchise Disclosure Document (FDD) for them to review. Due to Michigan being a "notice only" state you must file a Notice of Intent annually with the Michigan Attorney General.
The Notice of Intent must:
- Be typed on the letterhead of your franchise company;
- Include the name of your franchise company;
- Include the principal business address of your franchise company;
- Briefly describe the franchised business; and
- Include a check in the amount of $250 payable to the "State of Michigan".
Your Notice of Intent must be filed and renewed every year and is not effective until you receive confirmation and acceptance of your filing through the Attorney General’s issuance of a notice endorsing your filing with the word "filed" and marked with an effective date.
To learn more about registering your FDD in Michigan and how we can help, give us a call at (800) 976-4904 or contact us.
Michigan Franchise FAQs
Who regulates franchises in Michigan?
The Michigan Attorney General regulates and oversees the enforcement of the Michigan Franchise Investment Law and FDD notice filings.
Where can I register my franchise in Michigan?
Your Notice of Intent must be filed annually with the Michigan Attorney General, at the following address:
Michigan Department of Attorney General
Consumer Protection Division - Franchise Section
PO Box 30213
Lansing, MI 48909
The telephone number for the Michigan Attorney General is (517) 373-7117.
Why is Michigan a “registration state” if only a notice is filed?Michigan is technically a franchise registration state is because it has enacted specific franchise laws that require a filing with the state prior to the offer or sale of a franchise. However, unlike all the other franchise registration states, the filing required by Michigan is not the actual FDD, but rather a Notice of Intent, which includes limited information. Unlike other franchise registration states, Michigan does not maintain a copy of your FDD and does not review your FDD. Nevertheless, because of extensive franchise laws and disclosure requirements, franchisors must be cautious when self-certifying their Michigan state FDDs.
Michigan State FDD Disclosure Notice
Like many other franchise registration states, Michigan mandates certain state disclosures to be contained in the state cover page. However, unlike other registration states, Michigan requires placement of its state-specific disclosures immediately following the FDD State Cover Page and not in a state-specific addendum attached to the back of the FDD. Michigan’s Franchise Investment Law defines the disclosure and placement requirements.
Useful Links for Michigan’s Franchise Laws:
- Michigan Franchise Investment Law – Link to the Michigan Franchise Investment Law. Michigan’s franchise laws address franchise regulation, FDD issuance, FDD notice filings, franchise exemptions, franchise compliance violations, and franchise relationship laws.
- Michigan Attorney General Office – Link to the Attorney General for the State of Michigan. Under Michigan Franchise Investment Law, the Attorney General’s office is charged with enforcing Michigan’s franchise laws and the franchise filing requirements.
- Michigan State Franchise FAQs - Link to the FAQ page published by the Michigan Attorney General. This page includes helpful information about filing a Notice of Intent.
- Franchise Guide - Link to the "Guide for Prospective Franchisees" published by the Michigan Attorney General. This guide provides information for franchisees about the due diligence process and an overview of the franchisor–franchisee relationship.
To learn more about state franchise laws, click here. To learn how we can help you comply with Michigan’s franchise laws and sell franchises in the State of Michigan, give us a call at (800) 976-4904 or contact us.