Can I Force A Partner Out Of My New York Business?
Yes. However the next question becomes should you and for what purpose are you seeking to force out a partner. Under New York law, traditional methods respecting the force-out or lock-out of a business partner relate to that partners actions involving self-dealing, misappropriation of business assets, misappropriation of business opportunities, violation of the management structure and violation of the governing shareholder, partner or membership agreement.
Before taking any action to lock-out or buy-out a business partner you must carefully review the governing corporate agreements and carefully plan and review your actions with your New York business attorney. Be aware that your actions may eventually come under scrutiny and review of a court.
- Take Your Business from Local Success to National Franchise with The 90 Day Franchise Launch Program
- An Entrepreneurs Guide to Purchasing a Business or Franchise
- ENDWISE: The Guide to Selling Your Business with Peace of Mind
- The New York and New Jersey Partnership Dispute Guide
- Franchise Counsel Program