What Kind Of Updates Do I Need To Make To an FDD?
Maintaining a Current FDD will Protect Your Franchise System
As a franchisor one of your most critical "legal abd business" obligations relates to ensuring that your FDD remains current an up to date. Why? Because if your FDD is not current as to its disclosures and‚ if applicable‚ state based registraion then you will be exposing your franchise system to unnecessary franchisee claims and exposure. Even if you do nothing wrong‚ if your FDD is not current you could be tainting your franchise sales process and exposing your business to frivilous franchisee claims.
So consider the following points:
- Your FDD must be updated and your registrations renewed no less frequently than on an annual basis – within 120 days of your fiscal year-end;
- Your FDD must be updated earlier than on an annual basis – no less frequently than quarterly – if there are material changes to the diclsoures contained in the FDD;
- If your FDD includes Item 19 financial performance representations then changes must be made immediately.
To learn more about the Time Periods for Updating Your FDD, watch the video below.
What Types of Changes Matter?
Well consider anything that could be claimed as material to a franchisees investment decision which‚ quite frankly‚ relates to each FDD disclosure item with financial performance representations taking on the most urgency. When determining if a quarterly update is needed‚ some factors or questions to consider‚ include:
- Has there been a change in the Franchisor's management team;
- Has a management team member filed a bankruptcy petition;
- Has the data related to your Item 19 representations been proven to be unreliable;
- Are you changing the financial obligations imposed on franchisees; and
- Are you changing the legal obligations set forth in the franchise agreement.
There are many factors to consider and as a franchisor you should know and be aware of these events. They will not be difficult to identify. However‚ you must be and remain proactive in ensuring that your FDD is updates. Otherwise…you may be subjecting your franchise system to unnecessary headaches and legal issues.
By Charles Internicola August 11, 2010
Franchise ChannelWhat Our Clients Say About The Internicola Law Firm
- Business Transactions
- Buy a Franchise
- Corporate Counsel
- Firm News
- Franchise Your Business
- Grow Your Franchise
- Intellectual Property
- Partnership Disputes
- Start a Franchise
- Do You Need to Have Multiple Locations to Franchise Your Business?
- Don’t Hire a Franchise Consultant if you see these Warning Signs!
- When is the Right Time to Franchise Your Business?
- How to Improve Your FDD Item 19 Financial Performance Representations in 2021 and Beyond (With COVID Impact)
- Should You Create an Education and Training Business Instead of Franchising?