Franchising in Mississippi: What Franchisors Need to Know
Mississippi Franchise Registration Status: Non-Registration State
State Registration Fee: $0.00
If you are considering starting a franchise in Mississippi or expanding your existing franchise into the state of Mississippi chances are you are interested in knowing what requirements there are when it comes to franchising.
Here is a quick overview of what you need to know when franchising in Mississippi:
- Mississippi is a non-registration state
- There are no franchise registration laws enacted
- There are no business opportunity laws enacted
- Franchise registration in Mississippi is not required
- Filing or notifying the state that you intend to sell franchises in the state of Mississippi is unnecessary
- Federal franchise laws put in place by the Federal Trade Commission still apply
- It is necessary to have a Franchise Disclosure Document (“FDD”) and keep it current
- In accordance with federal franchise law an FDD must be provided 14 days (or earlier) prior to selling a franchise location
One key thing to getting started with franchising in Mississippi, or in any state, is to keep in mind that you want to do it right the first time. It is important to be in compliance with any federal and state laws that are in place before marketing, offering or selling a franchise. The best way to do this is by hiring a franchise lawyer. A franchise lawyer will be able to create your FDD in a way that discloses the correct information about your franchise while adhering to any federal and state franchise registration law requirements. He or she can also assist you in registering or filing in states that require you to do so.
Helpful Mississippi Resources
For information on state franchise laws in a different state, visit our State Franchise Registration Laws page. Also, feel free to visit our Franchise Counsel Program page to learn more about the full range of legal services we offer franchisors.
Franchise Counsel Program – Full package program for franchisors to assist with franchise state registration, compliance with federal and state franchise laws and more.